Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Renaissance Among the Hemlocks

The winter has been relentless and has lasted longer into March than it has for a long time. With the streams being frozen over for months now I haven't been in a real hurry to get excited about fishing, I guess that can be chalked up to age and experience. There was a time not long ago I would have been trying to fish through any open lanes I could find in the ice, somehow I feel I have moved past that phase and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

The snow is finally gone now although the land is still that barren brown and gray with very little sign of renewal. At long last I decided it was time to do some fishing and packed my gear up and headed out to a special regulation stream. This year I have made a vow to simplify what I take with me to the stream and I slimmed it down to a leather fly wallet full of streamers and a small fly box that contained a few styles of nymphs, some 'garbage flies', a few dries, and some wooly buggers.

While on the water it was hard to forget about winter with the huge slabs of ice lining the banks and the occasional patch of ice flowing by.


It didn't take long until I hooked up with a brown trout on a black marabou streamer. I didn't take a water temperature reading but to say the water was cold would be an understatement.


The action was pretty slow after my initial success but eventually I got into some brook trout that were taken on a streamer that I had named after this particular stream. I guess you could say it's my go-to fly when nothing else seems to be working here. It's a simple tie with nothing more than a round silver tinsel body and a wing of pearl Polar Flash topped with seven strands of peacock herl. Yes, it has to be seven for any other number would be unlucky. I also tie a beadhead version of this streamer using a green bead and a couple wraps of peacock herl behind the bead. This is the version I use to get down into the deeper pools which is what I had to do on this day.


The brook trout seemed to like it just fine.


The Little Mo Special, a bit worn and tattered.
I was worried since I hadn't fished since mid-October that I would feel a bit rusty when I finally made it out but that wasn't the case, it was if I had never stopped. At one point I took a seat in the hemlocks just to listen to the water flow and to stop and take everything all in. This day had been a long time coming so there was no rush.


After moving along and resuming fishing, I decided to quit while I was ahead after landing my third brook trout from the same pool. This was a nice start to the season and I walked away from the stream, the ice, and the trout knowing that the best is yet to come.





1 comment:

  1. Hi, Bill. Welcome back to fishing season 2014. Really enjoyed reading this and seeing of your success. Those are some fine looking Brookies for this early in the season. Looks like your "Simplify" process did you well. Happy hook ups in 2014, my friend.

    ReplyDelete